Re: [RC] Qustion on your APF ridecamp post - Truman Prevatt

Kim,

KimFue@xxxxxxx wrote:

Truman,
  What if you buy a horse that has run on the track and was given steroids while a race horse would this test 1, 2, or 3 years later.  Some of us have no idea what type of history our horses come from.  Who knows what they were given in their previous career.
I had a friend that bought a TB mare to breed. The vet told her that it might take up to a year or two for the effect of the drugs to subside so she could get in foal. So that is how long the effects can last. However, the drug is long gone before the effects are gone so it won't test - no matter what you use.

It depends a lot on how often and what test are used. There are very expensive testing procedures that can detect steroid use in an human for up to about six months since the last dose. I suspect the same is true for a horse. But I also expect because of the expense these test are not used in the horse world. In humans urine is used for testing which I believe is more accurate and more sensitive than blood. The AERC uses blood - but I think CA does use urine.

In professional football and basketball today athletics undergo random drug testing throughout the year. If someone is caught after their fine and suspension they may undergo monthly drug testing for awhile. Baseball has the weakest drug testing and subsequently the most problems - with many of the top players under suspicion of steroid use. But since there is almost no testing there is no evidence.  After Sen. John McCain chewed MLB and the players union director out in a public session of a congressional hearing they are changing that now.

Track is under the microscope - as well it should be -  now with rumors rampant of the use of "designer steroids" by some of the top runners in the world. A designer steroid is one where the chemical composition has been slightly changed so that it doesn't effect the performance enhance effect but it is less sensitive to the current testing so that it can be used closer to the events before it is withdrawn. Are the use of these performance enhancing drugs making a difference?  You bet the are.

Could the same trainng methods be used on endurance horses - I suspect they already have been.

Anything we use has a multiple purposes. Glucosomine and hyaluronic acid will help minimize the stress of the sport from impacting the horses joints - hopefully preventing the onset of joint problems so the horse will live a happy healthy pain free life. It is common sense care of the horse we are asking to work for us. However, in the strictest sense it is performance enhancing in that if it does what it says it will allow a horse to be better over a longer period. It will allow faster rides and more miles.

In my book there is no way in hell that a drug powerful enough to control the heat cycles in mares, e.g., regumate, cannot be considered performance enhancement. It will most likely allow a mare that suffers cramping or tying up if competed at certain times during the cycle to compete without such probelms during that time. If a mare gets too cranky during certain parts of her cycle to be an effective endurance horse then regumate will eliminate that effect and she can compete without problems at any time. In ether of these cases are the horses "competing on their on ability" - not in my book. Is the control of the negative effects of the heat cycle in these horses by external chemical means ( a drug by the way that is a perscription drug)  using a performance enhancing durg - in my book it is.  I can see absolutely no difference in the use of regumate and gastoguard - neither of which do I think should be allowed.

But we got to worry about those dandelions - yep dandelions are the problem - yep shoot those people that don't clear the dandelions out of their pastures.

Cheers.

The longer this discussion goes on the blurrier it gets.  I use injectible glucosomine, MSM, DMG, when my going horse is being conditioned.  I pull the supplements 72 hours before the ride because of the AERC rule but that is the only reason.  The funny thing is I hope these supplements and preventitive measures will enhance my competition performance.  Why else would I be using them and pay big $$ for them if I didn't think they would help :)  If my 12 yr old endurance horse was just being used as a pleasure trail horse I doubt I would be giving her the same supplements.

It is really amazing that a discussion can get focused on the illegal eating of "dandelions" when big issues that can ruin this sport, like the use of steroids, basically get ignored and not discussed at all.  I still don't understand how Regumate can be OK to use during competition if there really is a 0 tolerance of drugs.  One horse might get busted for eating too many dandelions because the owner weeded on a Thursday and the horse tests positive to whatever is in the dandelions and the next rider can legally use a prescribed drug, Regumate, at a ride and that is OK with the current AERC drug policy.

Kim

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.