[RC] Gaited horse questions - Julie Fuller

I think the post on "Centered Riding" hit the nail on the head with regards to "sitting back" on gaited horses. Certainly it's possible to have a more "back" seat, and still be centered, and NOT slumping there like a sack of potatos!

Some people simply don't understand what is meant by "sitting" a gait... (any gait, not just those of a gaited horse) A couple years ago, my husband and I went riding with his brother, Houston. After riding with the wife, Houston was sore and not very happy to go back out on the trail with us... he said Gail was always telling him "sit your horse!" And he thought he was......

Come to find out, he thought (and she never explained) this meant he was to keep ALL his (not inconsiderable weight) on his BUTT. At all times. When we explained to him that he needed to distribute his weight to his butt, thighs, and feet, (and after shortening his stirrups a bit, as he was barely able to toe the stirrup) he suddenly got it! We had to remind him to sit up straight a few times, but watching him go down the trail with that light of sudden knowlege on his face was truly something to see! He rode quite a while, all the time exclaiming "This is SO much easier!!!! Why didn't someone tell me?!"

Julie

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle. ~ Bob Morris