[RC] Mules - Julie Fuller

Paddi,

Have you had any experience with mules? Thay can be very different than horses. Most people either love them or hate them! I have had some experience with them... having raised two pony mules, one of each sex.

I always thought that mules being horrible about having their feet picked up was just an old wives tale... but after my second mule was born, I changed my mind! This molly was handled daily from birth, and acted like a cougar was at her throat if you touched her feet! Gods! The bawling, squalling, kicking, rearing, throwing herself on the floor..... Get the picture!? *grin* ( We named her Wicked Wanda the Jumping Mule, after she jumped OVER the stall front into the arms of my VERY surprised farrier when she was four days old)

The john I raised was a dream..... a beautiful black bay gaited mule! His ears were so small, he didn't even look like a mule. He too was handled from birth, and went on to become a very nice cart mule. (No wonder, he had leg action like a hackney!) He was out of the same jack as the molly, but a black and chrome pony mare named Psycho Cindi. Go figure! ( The molly was out of a sweet little red bay pony mare who was a bit on the timid side)

There is a local trainer near here who is a died in the wool "mule man" He has broke many many mules, and does very well with them. I took a little Arab mare to him several years ago for training.... he said he'd give it a go, but that he really didn't care much for horses. *grin* She turned out very well, and he said he was surprised at how well he got along with her... So I guess there can be converts both ways!

Personally, I doubt there's much difference between a molly or john from a mare or a gelding. And please, I don't mean to imply stupidity here, but some people don't realize that just because mules are sterile doesn't mean they don't have cycles and sex-drive. You've still got hormones to deal with.

Hope this helps

Julie

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm