[RC] M.O.M., elytes, and Sandhill 1001 - Randi Lavikoff

First, Congratulations to my good friend Adele Dennard, and her BROOKSVILLE,Florida bred Arab/part Andalusian, CALYPSO DANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for Winning the Sandhills 100. Horse and rider, both amazing, number # in the Southeast, etc., and a consistent winner. Check out his AERC record. He's got 6 BC's in less than 2 years, and now he's running out in front. Catch him if you THINK you can! Way to go ADELE!!!! Sorry, but I couldn't wait to see it in print on Ridecamp, so here it is.
Second, Truman and I have the same vet, here in Brooksville, Florida, and he told me years ago, to give 8 oz. of MOM at first signs of colic. It's worked many times, for me, and others I've told to try it. Luckily, never had a major colic at home, but I don't go anywhere without a couple bottles. How to give it? DON'T pour it from the bottle into the horse, but use a syringe, until you've sucked up about a cup full. 20 minutes later, and VOILA, horse is looking great. That's been my experience, and I'm sticking to it. Same vet, Dr. JIM, said to use MOM with bute to buffer the stomach, or plain yogurt, if you choose.
Third, elytes, are a mystery, when you have 2 competitive horses, that REFUSE to drink until about 20 miles or more, in any ride.  Gayle Ecker, researcher for Perform 'n Win, wrote and told me, several years ago (after a metabolic problem) to keep the elyte levels up regardless of drinking, several years back, and NEVER to mix with carrots, etc., or it slows down the Perform 'n Win absorption. My main horse, Falcon, hates Enduramax, and shut down eating/drinking completely when I used that. I want to THANK the person who recently wrote that she tried mashed baby bananas and pancake syrup with hers. Guess what, it worked 2 weeks ago when we were on a weekend training ride with another endurance rider. I just invested in a dozen 3 dose Lyte Now's and will give these before and every hour of every ride. I'll use the Perform 'n Win as back up on trail (in my baggies), and prior to the ride. That's what I'm doing, but everyone has a different formula for success.
See you all at Million Pines. Falcon and I plan to TRY to manage to go over I-16 again, after a prior experience where a semi taught him to run for his life over that da........... bridge!
Randi Lavikoff, Falconfyre, and Streak O'Luck(see you at Ponce)