Re: [RC] Question for the gaited people - Jackie Winkleman

Maybe part of it is saddle fit also???

I have ridden Pasos for over ten years.  I have never had one with a sore back from sitting deep in the saddle with legs slightly forward.  This just helps to enhance the gait.  The Pasos gaits are natural.  They have it or they don't.  Yes, you can inmprove it.  That can be compared to working on extending a trot or slowing down a jog, etc.

Jackie

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Most of the gaited riders I've seen -- TWHs, Pasos, etc -- sit
back while they ride. ALL the time. I have seen a
handful -- usually at endurance rides :-) -- who do get up off
their horse's backs, but they're the exception rather than the
rule. So... my question is: don't these horses get sore backs?
And, they don't *need* the rider to sit like that to gait, do
they? I can't imagine that they do if the gait is natural.

I have a friend whose mother has two Peruvian Pasos. She
can't keep them sound and they have some of the sorest backs
I've ever seen. I've told my friend that the cause is pretty
clear (her mother is easily 250lbs+ and sits way back and like
a sack of potatos on her horses' backs/loins), but neither of us
knows how to address the issue with her as she's sure she
knows what she's doing & says that's how you are supposed to
ride them. She's actually selling both her PPs since they have
these problems and plans to buy another one. She thinks the
problem is the horses. I think the problem is their rider...

~Nicole

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long