[RC] trotting/gaited horses/collection, etc. - Ed Kilpatrick

i rode my paso fino gelding, starbuck in the 2002 season.   we only did the 25 mile rides because he wasnt old enough for 50s.   he is very well gaited.  i have seen him trot on a few occassions, but it is rare, because he prefers not to do it.  what little bit he trotted was when he was younger, just started under saddle and unaccustomed to carrying weight.  his gait is all natural and the only enhancements to it are his doing. miles and miles in gait, he became more refined at it, more balanced and collected, and i was just along for the ride.  during the rides we did,  most of the miles were done in gait, a little bit at a walk, and the rest at a gallop.  he doesnt really have a good lope, because he is by nature so inclined to a four beat movement.  if he had not changed jobs, to become my sister-in-laws baby sitter and trail riding horse,  i would be doing endurance with him now.  he is enough horse to do 50 or 100 miles.   ed kilpatrick