[RC] SEA Workshop for the Santa Monica Mountains Recreation Area - KimFue

I received this notice from Ruth Gerson (REC) and thought I would pass this on to the list.  I know some of you do not live in this area but the Malibu Ride is held in this area and there is/was a possiblility of someday getting another ride in the Cheeseboro/Simi area.  Many of us use Point Mugu State Park, Cheeseboro Park, Malibu Creek State Park, Paramount Ranch, Topanga State Park, and the Back Bone Trail for riding and conditioning so this could effect many endurance riders that keep or ride their horses in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Kim Fuess

EQUESTRIANS  ALERT -
LA COUNTY SEA (Significant Ecological Area)  WORKSHOP   ----
WED. MARCH 17th,  6 -8 pm,
at the Las Virgenes Municipal Water District on Las Virgenes Rd. Calabasas

THERE ARE MANY CONFLICTING STATEMENTS IN THEIR PROPOSED ORDINANCE THAT SERIOUSLY AFFECT EQUESTRIANS.

It is disheartening to see County officials attempting to decrease recreational users in the SMMNRA.  The plan is another step, 'a foot in the door', to decrease equestrian properties in the County.  This proposed ordinance will severely limit, restrict and eventually eliminate horses in the County.  This is a devastating impact on the legitimate equestrian and recreational user in the Santa Monica Mountains.  In fact, it is contradictory to the Congressional mandate that created this National RECREATION Area, where recreation should be encouraged and expanded by all public agencies.

In California equestrians generate $1 Billion annually.  This influx of dollars is an economic benefit that should not be tossed off lightly.

The Federal government should prohibit the County government from limiting or restricting commercial and private equestrian users and facilities, in order to stop any erosion of the public's right to use their lands.  Private facilities are the main visitor-serving facilities that support the parkland infrastructure.

Why should people need a CUP for agricultural uses in zoning that is agricultural, RR, A-1, A-2?

Anti-equestrian policy, that grading in excess of 2500 cu.yds. needs a CUP, means that excessive costs and time delays will prohibit many from having equestrian facilities.  It is conservative to state that a CUP would cost from $20,000 upwards with permits and consultants, plus an extended time frame for construction.  Why do the politicians treat equestrians as their political scapegoats?

One of the resources county has overlooked is the historical and cultural resource of livestock in this area.  Horses and cattle have been here for over 200 years, should not be forgotten, contribute to the diversity of the County, and enrich the lives of the residents.

This proposed ordinance is unwarranted and detrimental to the welfare of the community, as well as contrary to our existing land use rights.  We oppose this ordinance because we care about protecting the public's access and use of the recreational opportunities in this National RECREATION  Area.

This proposed SEA is a direct assault on the keeping of horses, again chipping away at our rights.  Request that current equestrian activities and facilities should be allowed to continue as is, and they should be expanded to enhance this National Recreation Area.

If you can attend the workshop, that would be great.  In any event, I will give you further information afterwards so you can write a letter or email to the Planning Commissioners and the Supervisors about your concerns.

Thanks,
Ruth
818-991-1236