[RC] Re:Foal nutrition - A. Perez

regarding the 3-week old foal eating Mom's grain, I read some
time ago in "The Horse" magazine (sorry, can't recall which
volume) that a study showed that foals fed grain prior to
weaning was more likely to grow up to become a cribber than
foals fed no grain before weaning.

I also cared for a neighbor who let foal eat moms grain, and
foal was a more assetive horse... Mom ended up skin and bones.
I cared for his horses for a month+ while he was away, and
separated Mom and foal at meal times.  When the owner returned,
he marvelled at how much weight Mom had gained.... then went
right back to his old feeding habits.  Ended up giving Mom away
for free ebcause she looked to poor... then asked for her back
after his owners got her fattened back up (sigh).

My suggestion, obviously, is to give Mom a break and separate
them while feeding... also good to get foal used to short
periods of separation at an ealy age. Put foal in stall nest to
Mom, or in adjoining paddock, where they can see eacvh other.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland