[RC] broken vein in horses back - sandy . l . holder

Last night a good friend of mine relayed a story to me that was very unpleasant.  A person at her facility (pasture boarding environment) that does endurance had their horse 'pop a vein' in its back, which then ruptured.  The vet had to suture it and the area has subsequently become infected.  This is a person that I've seen 'ride them hard and put them up wet', clearly not my style (and why I've never ridden with her).  I've suggested from time to time that the horse might need to be walked cool and received somewhat of a lambasting because of it.  What I don't know is why this vein popping and eruption could have happened.

Anyone with a clue?

Thanks,
Sandy