Re: [RC] Starting a new horse - Chris Paus

I can only tell you from my own experience, but I'm working with my third horse to get her ready for competition. I have found it takes about two years to get a horse really trail savvy and competition savvy...What you probably want to know is at what point do you introduce the horse to competition. That's probably different for each horse.

Right now, i'm working with my nearly 4Yo mare. I saddle trained her last year as a 3YO. I've tried to find lots of situations for her where there's activity, other horses, vehicles,  solitary time, etc. She's now pretty good on the trails. Very steady. Good on hills. Not prone to spooking at new things. Uses her head for thinking. But  she still hasn't had some experiences. We're still working on water crossings. She hasn't camped out yet. She hasn't experienced a pack of horses taking off down the trail at 6 a.m....She needs to work on maintaining a good trot. She hasn't cantered much yet under saddle. While she's really good at so many things, I just don't feel she's mentally or physically ready yet for the challenge of a competition. I plan to take the next year to work on fitting up and getting her ready for maybe competition in  2005 as a 5YO. And then, I plan to  ride at the back of the pack and let her just get used to everything before trying to really be competitive with her. So there's two years...

I have an 8YO gelding that I started lightly on CTR two years ago.He was green broke when I got him as a  6 YO. We worked first on general training and then started trail work. He needed a lot of muscle building. he was scrawny. I used hill work to beef him up and now he looks like a different horse. He did one  CTR his first year with me, and last year he did 4 CTRS and one AERC - LD ride. I think he was ready to move up to endurance, but dang it, slipped in the pasture  during winter and sprained a suspensory ligament  on his left rear leg.. so now we're back to slow work and rehabbing that leg, which will set back his competition.

My first distance horse I bought as a 10 YO. I entered him in a CTR three months after I got him. We did well, won the HVY division, but then it went down hill. He  could do it physically,   but we really needed to work on the  mental fitness part of it. His first year, he did an LD and 3 CTRs. The secondyear, we did more CTRs and two endurance rides. Then I realized I had asked too much too soon. We went back to training. Took six months off and     took classical dressage lessons.  The next year, we had a much better year and now, 8 years later, I have a fairly solid and reliable campaigner.

Long story short, if she were my horse, I'd spend the first year building her base of conditioning and not compete. Work on her fitness and on any "issues" she may have. Then assess her phsyically and mentally for competition next year. Be honest with yourself about where she is.  I can tell you that  you will regret it if you ask too much too soon, but few people have ever regretted waiting til a horse was really ready.

chris

Patti Pankiewicz-Fuchs <scubagirl817@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thought I'd throw this query out there since it doesn't seem as if there's been *too* much talk for newbies lately (not that there is anything wrong with that). I have a coming 6 year old, pasture raised Arab mare. Well, pasture rasied for the first 4.5 years of life, then I bought her and she sat for about year or so while I had a baby. She's now on week two at the trainers learning to be a trail horse. I messed with her while I was pregnant and in the past 6 months postpartum, but this trip to the trainer is the first time she's been in *real* saddle training. According to the trainer and from what I have seen she is doing great...still some issues about mounting and dismounting, but while he is in the saddle she is responsive, not spooky at all and very willing to please. He's ridden her in the arena and around their 30 acre pasture's trails (while the herd was out even!) and she's done awesome......so I'll quit my bragging and ask the question. Our goal is to ultimat ely be middle to better of the pack 50 milers... the ultimate, ultimate dream would of course to complete a 100.

So how do I approach this first year??

I was thinking that my a-year-from-now goal would be to do a slooooow 25. Is that too much or too little?? Just right? I know about LSD (I've read everything nearly...did 4 LDs with my older Walker cross mare a couple of year ago) but I know I should/may have to go at things at a different angle with Serendipity as she is "just broke"....I know it's all about the individual horse, but if any of you veterans have the time or inclination I'd love to get your feedback as to what you would suggest on how many times a week to ride, how long, at what speed, (for example when do I even start introducing trotting for more then a 1/10 of a mile at a time with her?) and where...how much ring work (not that I even own one, but I could figure something out) how much trail? I personally am inclined towards teaching her everyting she needs to know on the trail, but I am open to suggestions.

Feel free to e-mail me privately or on ridecamp if you think others would benefit from the suggestions.

Patti & Serendipity (I thought I was just a permanent pasture potato!)

Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. ============================================================ We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes. ~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/ ============================================================

"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus