Re: [RC] sticky stifles - Chris Paus

Gosh, Amy, what  bad luck. I don't know about competing on a horse under the circumstances you are suggesting. even though she's a good mare, what is mile after mile of     terrain going to do to those legs? I guess if she were my mare, I'd find a different job for her and find a horse who has the legs to hold up to distance competition.

chris

Amy Martin <amymartin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I know this subject has been discussed before and have learned much in the
archives but after months of progressive conditioning, cortisone injections
into both stifles, and both stifles blistered twice, my 5 year old mare
still catches repeatedly and is on and off short strided and lame in both
rear legs. I take her to Katy Equine and the vet is recommending the
surgery to cut her ligaments if we don't see improvement soon. I know the
fear is the development of arthritis but with the continual catching and
swelling she has now I would think that would set her up for arthritis as
well. I fear the cutting as a next step but my worse fear is that my
wonderful mare will be forever hindered by her stifles if I leave her as is.
Are there any endurance horses out there sound and happy with cut -I
think-medial patellar ligaments? She is a good horse and my only horse, she
competed successfully in NATRC last year in between lameness issues and hope
to make a limited distance AERC ride this year. Amy in Texas

REAL endurance is dressing for 20 degrees in the AM and by noon its 85
degrees!
~ Heidi Sowards

"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus