Re: [RC] FEI WEC 2004/05 - rides2far

I really have to thank Marcia
Smith for her insights about FEI and racing out-of-states that help me
not to take the offer.... and Michele for wanting to perform rather than
just take the gold ring....
I know this is a stupid business decision, but sometimes you just have
to watch the sun sets..

I'm sure I wasn't offered anywhere near what you were offered, but it was a LOT
of money to us. I wanted to say "no" but felt it was only fair to ask Bill what
he wanted to do since we were living on one income and barely getting by. Bill
said, "We're not missing any meals and I don't want you wondering when you're
80 what you *could* have done if you'd kept him".

I kind of wondered at the time if I'd regret the decision when I couldn't
compete on him any more. I don't. If I'd taken the money I'd have bought a
truck and it would be old now. My memories are priceless. I don't know if I'll
ever get another horse as good, or be in the position to do as much with
another. You never know when your parents' health will go, your family will
have a crisis or your own joints will give out. I may have many more
adventures....but then again I may not have any and he may have been my only
chance at having some good stories I can exagerate shamelessly as I grow old.

There's a Banjo Patterson poem I believe is called "The Drover's Horse" or
something like that. It's about an old horse that the man looks at and
remenisces. He says it takes him on rides no other horse could take him on. I'm
hoping that having my old horse out in the field will do the same for me.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris