Re: [RC] Conditioning help - heidi

The second is an Arab gelding. His walk is probably about 2.5 to 3 -
probably about average for an Arab.

Actually, here is where too many folks really miss the boat in developing
their horses' potential.  Having sat at innumerable finish lines in the
dark on 100-milers watching thr clock and knowing when horses left the
previous check, i can tell you that this is what they average at a TIRED
walk in the dark at the end of a long day.

I currently ride an Arab with what I'd call a decent or average but in no
way outstanding walk--he averages 4 to 4.5 mph at it.  The Arabs I've
ridden with good walks averaged 5 to 5.5 mph and sustained that for long
distances and over difficult terrain.

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano