Re: [RC] Conditioning help - Truman Prevatt

The two horses I've spend a lot of time with (over 3500 between them) I have measured using a stop watch and a measured course ( much more accurate than a GPS estimate of speed). I kept regular logs on this.

The first was a TWH mare. Her walk was 6 mph, tort about 8, easy canter about 12 and slow hand gallop about 17.
The second is an Arab gelding. His walk is probably about 2.5 to 3 - probably about average for an Arab. His slow trot is about 6 mph, medium tort about 8 and fast tort about 10 and too fast trot (meaning it would not be a good gait for a long distance in an endurance ride ) is about 12. The easy canter is about 12 and slow hand gallow is about 15.

Hope this helps.

Truman

Julie Fuller wrote:
Hi Guys,

Sarah's questions about speeds while conditioning got me curious.... Just what is an average walking speed? Trotting? Cantering?  All you people with different types of horses and heart monitors or pedometers should have a pretty good idea, right?

Most of my training has been without mile markers or high tech gear of any kind, and on hilly ground, so it's tough to gauge mph and such.  And after having moved, AND gotten new horses, I'm not familiar with my new trails or horses to start guestimating yet.  Hence my curiosity.

Julie

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.