[RC] Genetic Diseases-some more thought - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I just got in from the herd's evening meal.  I get to do some thinking while
this is going on, so I have some further thoughts to share.

First, let me state that breeding considerations are pretty much the same
for both sexes.  There is little more reason to breed a mare than to keep a
colt a stallion.  If this were a perfect world, only enough superior mares
would be bred to produce the number of young horses needed.  And only the
best colts would be kept as stallions to service them.  Of course, who will
decide which are the best?  I guess I mean that all breeders would study and
plan programs with rational goals.  This would largely eliminate rescue
horses and make horse breeding a profitable venture.  If you believe this is
possible, I have Ocean front property here in Montana you just have to see!

The uniqueness of the genetic makeup of the individuals who are carriers of
the bad/lethal recessive is extremely important.  Two rather rare breeds of
dogs have been mentioned where ruthless culling may have damaged the breed.
If a bad recessive were to show up in a small percentage of a breed with
large numbers (say Poodle or Lab) ruthless culling would be much less likely
to damage the breed by narrowing its genetic base.

Ruthless culling of all possible carriers, was more defensible before
genetic testing was invented.  At the present time, methods to identify
markers associated with undesirable genes are well worked out.  Perhaps the
most rational approach to a newly discovered  bad recessive gene is to
carefully breed around it to he extent possible, while working to make sure
that a test is developed.  After a test is developed, individuals to breed
on would be selected on the basis of eliminating the disease as rapidly as
possible, consistent with not loosing valuable genetic diversity in the
breed.

Note that for most of us, who breed a few horses in a lifetime and whose
horses are not genetically unique, this would mean not breeding to known
carriers, and not breeding that "nice mare" who happens to be a carrier.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse.
~  Teddy Roosevelt