Re: [RC] Vaccination reactions - Kari Hanes

We vaccinated last week with 4-ways and west nile. We had absolutely no bad reactions from any of the 9 horses that were done. We have done this for years with our small herd. I went over all your thoughts from a few weeks ago with my vet and she agreed with some and disagreed with others. She said fort dodge had some problems in the past few years but has since resolved them. The west nile was my call. At the time I posted on ridecamp I didn't know there had infact been two cases in my county within a few miles of our farm last summer, I couldn't let the cost of the shot deter me from protecting my horses, even if the coverage is limited. Vet said 30% effective was not founded and there are still studies going on with this relativity new vaccine, but she would not give it to a mare in early foal. I trust this vet as she is also an endurance vet and I have seen her at several ridecamps over the last few years. So my gut reaction is talk to your vet, know your areas history for west nile and any other horse related "bugs". I respect the opinions from ridecamp but we have to remember that each area of the country and each horse has there own individual problems.
Kari - getting out the fire extinguisher - ready for the flames!
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Skyla Stewart SLStewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I stopped with F. Dodge, many years ago, as I always had some type of reaction with every horse, from severe to mild. I just vaccinated yesterday with Encevac TC-4, and not even a bump today. I had been using Prestige without any reactions (5 way), but they were sold out. I am very pleased with this Encevac. I had to use F. Dodge, a couple years back as it was all I could get, and had swelling, but I had given the bute, so they didn't seem to be sore. I just won't do it again, I will wait until I can get what I want.

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views. It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing. Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me. ~ Leslie Beyers

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse. ~ Teddy Roosevelt