Re: [RC] [RC] Equine Dentist - heidi

It pains me terribly to want to disagree with anything Susan would write
or suggest, but I'd like to propose to her a slight amendment to her
statement which I snipped below:

Susan G wrote:
"Whoever you use, please make sure they have a DVM after their name, and
are not just hanging out a shingle because they bought a power float."

Is there a little wiggle room in there to say that if they don't have a
DVM after their name that they have been recommended by your DVM? (As in
the DVM knows they have the training and experience to do a better job.)

I would add one more bit to this as well.  Be very leery of even the DVM
that has just gotten on the bandwagon because "dentistry sells" and has
gone out and gotten a power float, never mind that he/she learned very
little about dentistry in veterinary school.  The vet schools are just
recently beginning to catch up in the field of dentistry, and GOOD
dentistry is practically a specialty.

I've dealt with some outstanding lay dentists--and the good ones prefer to
work WITH the DVMs as part of the "whole health team."  I've also seen
some pretty nasty jobs done by DVMs who just decided they could make a
bunch of bucks doing teeth.

That said, even though I am a DVM, I don't pretend to be a dentist--and
the dentist who does my horses' teeth IS a DVM--but he is one who does a
LOT of dentistry and has taken the time to get the training to be good at
it.

The bottom line is that you get a GOOD dentist, DVM or not!

Heidi

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb