Re: [RC] When to stop feeding fat before a race - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

fats completely out of the digestive tracts by the ride start.  She wants
just forage and low-glycemic carbos (like plain beet pulp (no molasses)
during a ride.

I do want to maximize structural carbohydrates and minimize fats during ride
weekend, but I'm also okay with a moderate amount of simple carbs , ie
grain, in the beet pulp mash over the weekend.  Assuming the horse doesn't
have carbohydrate-sensitive issues, ie tying up, PSSM, Cushings, laminitis,
etc.

She also stated that high glycemic foods (like grain) during the ride
cause
a spike in blood sugar followed by a deep valley where the horse will lose
energy and enthusiasm, plus it suppresses fat utilization,

Yup.  However, again, I'm okay with *some* simple carbs being utilized
during a ride.  I think the important thing regarding simple carbohydrates
is to understand that there is a wide variability in how individual horses
respond to, adapt (or not) to carbohydrtae intake and in how well they are
able to convert blood glucose to intracellular stored energy available for
work.  It's critical not to think that because Rider A feeds carbs a certain
way and won such and such a ride, that the same will be true for every other
horse as well.  It's no different than assuming one saddle will fit every
horse and result in perfect performance.  There are just too many variables.

The final big point from her talk - the burning of fat is 95% efficient vs
50-70% for carbos.  Any unused utilization is converted to heat and/or
passed from the body.  Since heat is one of our biggest issues, this a
very
important consideration.

I should have explained this in sligtly more detail during Friday's talk (or
Saturday's or whenever this point was made.)  Structural carbohydrates are
roughly 50-70% utilized, with the excess producing heat, feces, etc.  The
more simple the carbohydrate, the more efficiently it is utilized, so that
very simple sugars and starches are utilized at a rate very similar to
fats---in the 95% range.  At that point, the differentiating argument
becomes exactly how the absorbed substrates affect the body, ie blood
glucose levels, etc.

It's nice to see you were paying such close attention, Mike.  Does my fuzzy
little heart good.  :-)))

Susan G
SUSAN E. GARLINGHOUSE, DVM, MS
Michael S. Peralez, DVM & Associates
1005 North Santa Anita Drive
Arcadia, California 91006
(626) 446-8911
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan

REAL endurance is dressing for 20 degrees in the AM and by noon its 85
degrees!
~ Heidi Sowards