Re: [RC] children's riding s tuff - Barbara McCrary

I'd say, let him wear jeans;  if the inside of his knees look like raw hamburger after a ride, and if they hurt enough, he may be willing to consider wearing tights after that.  It worked for my husband.  He, a rancher, was concerned about image, but comfort won over "image".  Let your son try riding in jeans.  If he isn't in pain, let him continue.  Be sure to have a supply of extra large bandages along with you.  He may need them.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: Melissa
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 6:04 PM
Subject: [RC] children's riding s tuff

Hi Chris
My 11yr old rides his horse with me. The helmet is grudgingly worn with alot of grumbling - but he REFUSES to wear riding pants (he calls them girlie tights). We compromised- he wears sweat pants or wind/nylon workout pants (no inside seams). Even THAT was battle. They sell them at Wal-Mart. Good luck!  Hey, any input from male endurance riders out there to give us some helpful hints to give to our "macho- concerned with image") sons would be GGGGRRRRReatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Melissa/ MN