Re: [RC] [RC] hauling horses, again - Sisu West Ranch

My personal favorite is Ford.  If you check around you will find those who
recommend Dodge, and those who recommend Chevy.  Actually the condition is
the key.  Have the engine and automatic checked by an independent mechanic.
As the deal clincher (dealers will often throw in services to close the
sale) try to get an engine oil and all filter change (dealers usually do
this anyway) and an automatic powerflush and refill.  When towing frequent
fluid changes really extend an automatic's life.

As far as used trailers go.  There are a lot of steel trailer manufacturers.
The parts can be ordered and anyone with a welder can put one together.  It
is more important to look at condition.

1. Torsion axles are better than spring.  If spring make sure the shackles
are not frozen.
2. Immediately after purchase (or as part of the deal if the seller
services)  have all four wheels removed and the brakes serviced.  If there
is any doubt have the drums turned and shoes etc. replaced.  Have the
bearings inspected, replaced if necessary, greased and the seals replaced.
In the future have the bearings greased every second spring, no matter how
little the trailer is used.
3. If you are in a humid climate, look for structural rust.  The wooden
paneling on horse trailers often causes rust under it.  Even though they are
quieter with the wood, I prefer stock type trailers because there are fewer
places for rust to hide.  Rusty feed trays can be fixed with fiberglass.  A
piece of plywood on a saddle compartment floor can extend the life by 20
years.  Fiber glass cloth can also be used to repair holes in fenders etc.
The cosmetics of the repair depend on the time you want to spend.
4. Poke the floor boards near the walls with the screwdriver you bring.  You
are looking for rot.  If you find a trailer that needs a new floor, don't
reject it just factor in the cost of replacement.  If you have a reasonably
competent handyperson in the family, you can replace a floor yourself.  I
have used pressure treated wood.  Oak is another good choice.

Note that steel is relatively cheap to reweld and repair when compaired to
Aluminum.  More shops can weld steel than Al.  The Al extrusions for repair
are 10X as expensive than steel.  Steel will also take more of a licking and
still keep ticking.

Horse trailers are really very simple pieces of equipment and can last a
lifetime if properly cared for.  I bought my first in 1970.  It was 10-12
years old.  After a new floor, many brake jobs, and two repaints I sold it
in 1986, because I needed a larger trailer.  It is probably still hauling
horses in SD.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm