[RC] bits - Nancy Reed

I just picked up a new Myler Mullen bit with hooks today. ?I had to special order it out of the catalog as Lyric has a 4 ½ inch mouth.? I was using a 4 ¼ D ring broken snaffle with copper rollers.? This worked really well until two months ago when she grew again.? Lyric would attempt to rub the bit off and would open her mouth when force was applied. ?I looked in her mouth thinking her wolf teeth must be coming in as she is almost 6 years old. ?No new teeth, but what I discovered was more interesting.? Lyric has very little arch to her upper palette.? No room for a broken snaffle to move without painfully poking her. ?

I spoke to the Myler rep at Mary’s infamous once a year sale and was sold on the bits with hooks to hold the bit in place.? But the comfort snaffle with hooks does not come smaller than 5 inch. ?This may be a good thing as the Mullen is flatter with less arc than the comfort snaffle and should fit her flat upper palette better.? I’ll find out tomorrow.

I also have a western Mylar bit.? It has a moderate port and small shanks. I can not remember the name. I love that bit and so has every horse that has used it.? My quarter horse mare, Sierra is so responsive in it.? It’s the difference between a manual and automatic tranny.?

By the way the post with the link about the Quarter Horse inherited skin disease is down right frightening.? Sierra is a Doc Bar granddaughter out of Cal Bar who’s dam was a Poco Tivio daughter.? Thank you Raven for the info.? Here is the link again for anyone interested.? http://www.thehorse.com/news.asp?fid=5037?

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California