Re: [RC] [RC] full-cheek snaffle - Sandra

Yes, a full-cheek is a safe bit.  And a leather curb strap
will keep the bit out of the mouth.  I've had a full-cheek
end up in the mouth, no big deal, just slip it out. I used
to use full cheeks, but had them occasionally catch in my
shirt sleeve cuff while doing ground work (giving to the
bit) and one of my certification buddies had the prong catch
in her stirrup while on her horse for the very first time.
JoAnn had done her homework so well that the mare just gave
to the stirrup and out it popped, but this could have been a
big wreck!  So we all switched to D-rings with a leather
curb strap.  Remember, the horse should be taught to yield
to any pressure in his mouth, whether it's the bit or the
cheek strap.  He should yield his face toward the pressure.
Also as an aside, I don't recommend solid copper
mouthpieces, but inlayed copper strips if desired.  We had a
horse chew through a copper mouthpiece and another who
chewed sharp nicks into the bars, which weren't discovered
until taken out of his mouth. Ouch!!

Sandra Walker

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius