Re: [RC] Bits - KeepsakeFarms

In a message dated 2/28/2004 12:54:30 PM Central Standard Time, ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
English riders use a strap
(cavasan??) to hold the mouth closed.
The strap- a cavesson- is meant for this purpose.  Used correctly it does help and can be loosened or even removed after further through training.  I do not recommend riding with a tight one during long rides- horses have trouble chewing with a tight cavesson.

Personally, it sounds to me like your horse needs some training. The cavesson will not fix this problem on its own.  Your horse is "yawing"  as you call it probably because he/she does not flex and give to rein aids.  I think that a lot of this training can take place on the lunge line (with a cavesson and side reins) and in the arena (long-lining, circles, bending, etc. once he is doing well on the line).  Once your horse knows what you want, then he/she should give to the rein aids and you won't have the "yawing" problem with the bit slipping through the mouth.  Also- teaching proper leg and seat aids won't hurt.

Linda and Shennandoah