[RC] Doc's story:What if it was your horse? Long but a must read! - Debra Reid

HARP is a non-profit rescue located in South Louisiana. Anyone intrested in joining or finding out more information on our group I will be happy to email your or send via snail mail information, please email privately so we don't clutter the list. This post is about a horse we just recently came in contact with ALL TOO briefly. The day after his death, HARP recieved into our care three starved horses, two foals approx age 4-6 months and a mare {mother of one} the other mare had been starved to death leaving a small weak baby behind.. the mare you see had given everything so that her foal might live.....another day. HARP was there just in time. I am on my way in a few minutes to see about FOUR other horses in need of our help. Our resources are limited, our small group depending on our own personal funds and donations. Everyone who owns a healthy happy horse knows the exspense of the upkeep and time involved, and can imagine what the costs of a sick, starved animals needing vet care can be. Please if all you can do is donate $2-5 bucks and a stamped envelope {{all donations are tax deductable}}.... with all the horse lovers out there on the net...HARP will be able to rehab these innocent horses and others like them.... If you ever wanted to Help Stop Abuse.. nows your chance! Please feel free to forward this to other lists.. and thank you. Debra Reid - Secretary. Hooved Animal Rescue & Placement  Check out our budding web site www.harprescue.com
As told by Janet Pippens- president
    My husband, Mike, and I were just sitting down to dinner when the phone rang.  The Sheriff's Office was calling about an injured horse in the road at the Village of Tangipahoa, about 45 miles from our house.  Dinner went into the refridgerator, we hooked up the trailer and went.
    The beautiful bay Quarter Horse gelding had been found standing in the middle of a busy road.  He was led off the road and tied to a light pole to wait for us.  Nobody knew who owned him.  His left rear leg was damaged -- he sustained numerous deep cuts and abrasions in his pasturn and hoof.  We couldn't leave him there.  When we led him to the trailer, his couldn't put weight on the leg, the lower part flopped abnornally backwards.
    We weren't going to trailer him 45 miles like that.  "What if he was one of ours?"  All we could think of  was what we'd like done for one of our horses -- we'd want him taken to a vet.  Dr. Sonya Brouillette was closest and a wonderful equine vet.  Even though she's six months pregnant and trying to take it easier, and by now it was very late at night, she didn't hesitate to tell us to bring him by her clinic.
    We left the gelding in the trailer while Dr. Sonya examined and x-rayed.  There were no broken
bones, but considerable tendon damage.  She said, "It's bad.  It's bad."  But, she also felt that with six to nine months of rehabilitation, he could be pasture-sound and pain-free.  Still, it was difficult to really assess the damage.  Mike held the gelding up while Dr. Sonya fabricated splints and stabilized the gelding's foot.  He was so sweet and kind, even though he was in great pain.  He seemed to understand that we were trying to help.  Dr. Sonya gave him painkillers and antibiotics, and gave us doses of both to take with us.  The gelding was microchipped.  He was in good condition.  "Somebody is surely looking for him, they'll probably be frantic and so relieved to hear from us."  At least, that's the way it would have been, if he'd been one of our horses.  It took a long time to unload him and put him in the stall, just a short walk away from the trailer.  Thank God we have a slant-load -- he could have never backed out of a trailer.  The whole time, the big gelding was so gentle and kind, and such a trooper.  It was 2:30 in the morning before Mike & I got to bed after settling him in.
    As soon as the Brand Commission office opened the next morning, I contacted them with the microchip number.  They quickly called back with the owner's name and phone number.  I called, and was told he'd be back in about an hour.  I left a message with the person who answered the phone.  The hour came and went.  I called again, with no answer.  The window of opportunity to perform repair surgery on the horse was rapidly closing.  The owner called me back after a deputy went to his address.
    He hadn't known the horse was gone.  He didn't ride the gelding, because the saddle had slipped one day and he'd been thrown.  He wasn't sure he wanted to pay the bill for $298.00 at Dr. Sonya's.  He didn't seem very concerned.  He never said "Thank you."  He wasn't in a rush to see his horse.
    By Sunday, the owner still had not contacted Dr. Sonya or us.  If the gelding had been one of our horses, the bill would have been paid, we would have rushed to get him and do whatever was needed to save him.  The gelding's condition had deteriorated, and Patti Thompson, a HARP Board Member and EMT, was able to contact the owner and get a release.  Patti had been babying & spoiling the gelding all weekend while she tended to his injuries.  Dr. Randy Toney came out to examine and assess the gelding.  His prognosis was grim.  The injuries were more severe than first thought.  The time for surgical correction had passed.   The sweet gelding would never be pasture-sound, he would never be a theraputic riding horse for handicapped children.  Euthanasia was the only choice.
    His name was Doc Impressive.  He was only three years old.  Mike & I were able to load his body on a flatbed trailer -- after covering him with a tarp, we took him to Billy Gottschalck's farm thirty miles away.  Billy is HARP Treasurer.  He handled the arrangements so that Doc could be buried today.
    Doc deserved better.  If he had been your horse, you'd have been frantic when you realized he was gone.  You would have paid your vet bills, not left them for HARP to pay.  You would have probably incurred more vet bills, because you would have probably reclaimed Doc in time for surgery.  You wouldn't have just discharged your responsibility to him, not if you could do otherwise.  Doc's owner isn't indigent -- he's a successful private business owner, who declined to take care of his horse.
    HARP has around $600.00 in the bank.  Doc's bill from Dr. Sonya's is $298.  His bill from Dr. Randy is $175.00.  Both vets gave us discounts, but trying to save Doc came to quite a bit. There's no way we can get it from Doc's owner. I'm on my way to see about a thin mare this afternoon.  There's an owner who wants HARP to find her 22 year old lame gelding a good home.  We need money for these and other horses.  I know people would rather donate for animals still living.  But, if everyone who loves horses sent just $5.00 each in memory of Doc, we could pay our vets and be ready for the next horse.   Without HARP, Doc would have suffered by the side of the road for a long time.  It's pretty doubtful that his owner would have gathered him up and taken him to a vet.  Please consider sending a donation to HARP, P.O. Box 56, Loranger, LA  70446 in memor y of Doc.   Thank you for caring about the animals.  After all, what if he'd been your horse?
Janet Pippins, President

Debra Reid  HARP Secretary

Hooved Animal Rescue & Placement

PO BOX 56

Loranger, Louisiana 70446

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=