[RC] Sunburn/hairless horses-masks caution - beth glover

I was reading the posts about horses with sun sensitivity, and itchy hairless skin...and reminded of what happened last summer. My chestnut mare (never had these problems with greys) developed itchy  scaly sensitive pink skin on the white areas of her face. It wasn't a fly allergy though--per vet, and we didn't give any shots or anything.  We used that Nystatin/triamcinalone stuff-cream. We bought her a new Crusader mask, having had good success with those in the past with the other mares. Well she quickly, in a day or two, used the mask like sandpaper...or maybe the mask also irritated her. Anyway, she rubbed a big huge hole in her face over her eye, about 3 inches! So then we had a gaping wound along with the itchy buggy sunburn area. What a mess. It is just now pretty healed, after 8 months! Cause she kept rubbing it.  I use sunscreen on her, and the problem with zinc oxide is that it drips into her eyes. But I can use the Trader Joes' baby sunscreen that is water proof, with Titanium in it instead of zinc, and it doesn't drip in the eyes. The Titanium sunscreens seem better, and my dermatologist recommended those for me too, since I had skin cancer. Seems half of everyone in Southern Calif, is getting skin cancer.  Anyway, we've been happy with the Titanium based screens, and they aren't any more expensive, and I can't use the mask on that particular horse anymore, so be careful with those...keep an eye on the horse with a mask on.

Beth (Now we can share granola bars and sunscreen!)

 Summer (How about head umbrellas?)

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=