Fw: Re: [RC] [RC] horses and weather - Shelley Kerr

-------Original Message-------

Date: Friday, February 28, 2003 03:10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] horses and weather

A friends horse came to my place 3 months ago.  She was telling me she was always shivering in the winter and wanted to put a blanket on her (she had shelter for her) but she didn't want her to get it hung up in something.  So she took the worst of two evils and let her shiver.  She fed high quality timothy or orchard grass.  The horse was fat and she said she would only feed her a flake in the morning and a flake at night.
When she came to my place she continued to shiver.  I was kind of bewildered by her shivering because it hasn't been that cold of a winter.  I noticed when I was brushing her, her hair seemed oily and flat.  I had read where a horse needs their hair to be fluffy in the winter.  So I brushed her hair backwards to fluff it up.  I also read somewhere about how horses stay warm and it has to do with being able to graze 24/7.  I feed blue grass straw 24/7 and supplement with first cutting alfalfa.  She quite shivering after being at my place for about a month.  I figured between her being able to eat constantly and fluffing her hair (which doesn't seem oily anymore)  that was what stopped the shivering.
If they pretty much have feed most of the time to munch on, fluffing the hair may be worth a try.
Shelley