Re: [RC] isn't there some middle ground here (WAS horse abuse/shelter) - A. Perez

"Wait a minute....isn't there some middle ground here? Is it
out 24/7 w/no shelter or windbreak or if not that then locked
in a stall???? It's not always black or white but many shades
in between. Where they are is only part of it. Feed or absence
of adequate nutrition plays a huge part in the horse's ability
to stay healthy....as well as a host of other issues.
Pat"

Of course there is - it is the extremes that are 'abusive' (no
shelter/full-time confinement). While the IDEAL is 24/7 turn-
out with free-choice access to shelter, this assumes adequate
acreage to support full-time grazing AND some means of
segregating horse for feeding, if necessary - a luxury few of
us have.  Necessity may dictate that we shut our horses in to
rest pasture, for feeding, to keep them clean, un-faded and un-
scathed for the show-ring, etc.  However, somewhere along the
way, people have begun to think that stabling (each horse in
it's own stall) is necessary for the good of the horse  In
fact, it usually is simply for our own convenience - not a
trivial consideration at all, I might add!  In the winter, I
have to spend an hour each morning sitting in my truck while my
field-boarded horse, pulled from the field, finishes his grain
and can be returned to the field.  I'd MUCH rather have that
extra time in bed, but the option of stalling him at night to
eat and turning him back out in the morning does not exist for
me.  And should he ever need to be confined to recover from an
illness or injury, I'll be up the proverbial creek!