Re: [RC] [RC] horse abuse/shelter - Shelley Kerr

> Personally, I think it is important that animals have some
> way to get out of the sun in summer and wind/rain in the
> winter,

My horses are standing in the shade in the morning snoozing and in the heat of the day they are out in the pasture eating.  When it rains or snows, they will hide for a few minutes under shelter, but their stomach always gets the best of them and they'll be standing out in the rain eating.  Go figure!

 be it a shed, under trees, etc, preferably with free-
> choice access. Heat and sun are probably worse then cold/rain:
> horses keep warm much better then they cool off.

I agree totally, and feel it is borderline abusive to at least not have the
option of shelter in bad weather.
Every horse that has lived on my property (probably over 20) have had
options of shelter in bad weather
They all figure it out and come in out of the rain. I am NOT a fan of
stalling horses; in fact, mine are SHUT out
unless it is raining, to keep stalls dry for when they DO need them;
otherwise some use the stall for their
bathroom   Mine too!!  Why is that?  Just to annoy the heck out of us so we have to clean them?  I've heard they kind of mark their area, so if it's a new smell they will urinate or poop in the area.  But....I don't put anything in the stalls, just leave the mats there and I can never get them completely clean and they still pee and poop in them!!  Grrrr!!

I am not the sort of person either who closes up horses in trailers, my is
stock sides and well ventilated. I throw on coolers on if they are sweaty
on cold days after hards rides. But, I do hate to see horses shivering out
in the rain.....

As far as heat and sun, I have a funny story. I have a front field of about
6 acres, with at least 80 nice leafy trees.
There is a corner of the pasture by the bend of the road....where in the
summer, is the first place that gets shade from the
hill across the street by 4:00 when the sun is dropping. Dumb horses know
there WILL be shade, and often are standing
out in 105 degree heat with heads drooping for hours, just WAITING for that
shade to come; they have faith the shade will come, but
mixed up clocks in their brains. Meanwhile, not 20 yards away are lovely,
nice shady trees....