Re: [RC] [RC] [Guest] response to "taking care of horses when they pass" - Heidi Smith

I have to chime in on the subject of the "bullet in the brain" thing.  I
have
placed many a bullet in many a brain.  Just could not do it to my own
horse.
Kudos to those with the intestinal fortitude to do so though.  I would do
it
for someone else, no problem.  Maybe I should work out a trade agreement
with
a friend if the need ever arises on either of our parts....

It isn't always about intestinal fortitude--sometimes it is about necessity.
Sometimes there simply isn't anyone else there to do it.  I learned my first
lesson about this as a kid when my favorite kitty crawled home on four
bloody stumps after going through a mowing machine.  I was the only one
home, and to wait for someone else to come meant her continuing to suffer
for who knows how long.  I howled and blubbered and hiccupped my way through
the entire process of finding the shotgun shells, loading the shotgun (only
gun I knew how to shoot at that tender age was an old single-shot .410, but
at close range that was perfectly humane for ending the life of a kitty),
taking her out to the haystack as a safe backdrop, and doing what had to be
done, and then went to my room and howled and blubbered into my pillow some
more.  And if you've read my Surrabu poem, you can understand that it is
just as painful to push the plunger on a syringeful of fatal drugs on one's
own as it is to shoot them.  But you're right--it is marginally easier to
end the life of someone else's buddy (although I've cried my way through
plenty of euthanasias as a "detached" professional) than it is your own, so
yes, a trade agreement might be a good idea.

Heidi