[RC] there are some things worse than death - Laura Hayes

The recent topic of how and when to euthanize and how to dispose of horse's
bodies, has had me thinking.

I was the Executive Director of large SPCA for several years and had to deal
with all sorts of death.  I had technicians who euthanized animals EVERY
DAY, because there were too many.  Nice healthy young animals - cats, dogs,
pocket pets, pot bellied pigs...you name it.  We had a great adoption rate -
it rose 400% in the years I was there,  and still there were too many.  Many
people got upset with us and routinely berated us for our 'kill' policy, but
the bottom line was that there were more than anyone could place, and from
what I have seen, the outside world - man and mother nature, was not nearly
as kind as we were in the manner with which animals lived and died.

Every once in a while, some animal would touch me more than the others, or
maybe it was a build up of emotions and something set it off, but I would go
home and sit and cry all night - I'd go to work and be ok for another few
months, and then it would get to me again...

A quick death, like a bullet in the right place (though you can do it
wrong...) is far more preferable than a life in pain.  I feel that my
animals, once they are in my care, are MY RESPONSIBILITY, and no one else's,
but when the time comes where their quality of life is not quality anymore,
I will make the decision to let them go - that is part of the
responsibility.  I hope someone does the same for me.

Laura