Re: [RC] Audio of Convention Seminars - suendavid

Thinking of the convention and my inability to attend the Saturday seminars
has brought me back to thinking about the AERC getting tapes of these
seminars. Who would I contact at the AERC to see if this is a viable option

We just need to get somebody to make audio copies of the seminars. Details
of price and distribution can be worked out after the convention as long as
the audio (video?) gets captured.

Please also put permission from the speakers at the top of the list.  I don't
mind being taped for personal use, but it is a courtesy and copyright issue if
the tapes are to be reproduced and sold, even if only at cost.  A few years
ago, there was a video crew that taped convention seminars, and the speakers
weren't informed of it beforehand, or contacted about it afterwards other than
a boilerplate copyright waiver showing up in the mail.

Also keep in mind that seminars may not be particularly conducive to audio
taping.  If a speaker is relying on powerpoint slides (as I do), then a lot of
the information is lost without a visual aspect.

My suggestion would be for AERC to organize a professional video crew to tape
an entire days worth of seminars and make it available through AERC, with some
sort of minor royalty or consideration going to the speakers.  AERC pays very
little to obtain speakers, less than costs to even get there, and my math tells
me that it's a pretty major fundraiser for AERC (someone correct me if I'm
wrong).  That should at least be considered before it's assumed speakers won't
mind if their intellectual property is sold elsewhere without at least
permission.

I realize this sounds bitchy what with my being one of the Saturday speakers,
but is still an issue that needs to be aired.

Susan G