Re: [RC] [RC] photo sensitive - Laurie Durgin

Around here some sensitive horses are only turned out at night. And they get full fly sheets, necks and those (Crusader I think) face masks). I know Sarcoids are of concern with white or gray horses , so trainers around here are trying to minimize sun expopsure. Laurie and Rascal in the Se

From: Jennifer Thompson <jlthompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Deblyons54@xxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   photo sensitive
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:10:35 -0800

Deblyons54@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I owned a photosensitive mare for about 14 years. It
> started as a two year old and the only thing I could do
> was cover it with a face mask that I made for her, or keep
> her totally out of the sun. She lost all the hair on her
> nose the first year. She hated Zinc Oxide or anything else
> that was heavy and would itch and rub til it (and the
> skin) was gone. Her white socks would also weep at times.
> When I used her I put Mary Kay sun screen on her nose
> repeating the application every 4 hours or so, as it
> seemed to be the only thing she would tolerate. My Mary
> Kay salesman gave me very odd looks when I bought 5 tubes
> each spring and told her I used it on my horse. The hair
> never did grow back.

Waaahhhhh!  This is NOT what I wanted to hear!  (I'm the
OP)  Oh well, things could be worse, eh?  As long as I keep
it protected, all I'm dealing with is a cosmetic blemish.
Rather have that than a lame horse (alas, I have one of
those too).

I just called Shahtahr's former owner, and she said when
they bought him as a two year old, his nose was already
sunburned and hairless.  So, I would say getting hair to
grow back is pretty much hopeless for us.

Jennifer