[RC] time to body clip? - superpat

I did not blanket the horses this winter and the horses did great and it was sooooo convenient. However, now that they are almost up to a full conditioning program, their wooly coats are less than desirable. I am thinking about giving them full body clips and blanketing until spring warmth arrives full time. I remember reading somewhere that there is a time when clipping them is not a good idea as their new spring growth will be stinted and will not grow in smoothly. (or something to that effect). Anyone have suggestions as to whether it is OK to clip at this time of year?
Thanks,
Pat