Re: [RC] High School Football (was: Training facilities) - Truman Prevatt

No actually it is about money. The reason a kids pump steriods at 13 is so they can be 320 pounds by 18 and get a scolarship at UF or Miama University or maybe some second tier college like University of Tennessee is so they can get into the NFL and makes a lot of money. There is a kid in Ohio, don't remember his name maybe someone from Ohio can, who has put his high school ( and himself ) on the map by being a basketball phenom. He's skipping college and going directly to the NBA - money talks.

When the Olympics went profession, going to the Olympics - especially in a country like the US or Russia meant big bucks. The Olympics is about money except in the very minor sports like hurling. Make no mistake these people are professional athletics and they will do anything to win. Why else does did the IOC have to step up to the most advanced drug testing program in athletics today?

So independent if it is a kid in highschool wanting to go to the NFL, a kid wanting to go to the NBA or a kid wanting to go to the Olympics it's all the same - money talks.

Truman

Heidi Smith wrote:
And while I cannot say for sure about high school basketball
in Heidi's neck of the woods, I can definitely say that what
she says isn't true of high school football in my neck of
the woods....and as a result here in Southern California
teen age boys are using dog steroids from Mexico because, to
quote a high school football coach whose brother (or maybe
it is his brother in law) is a friend of mine, "No, high
school football isn't just a game any more."

WHAA-AT, kat, you mean that there are good ol' red-blooded Amurcun sports
where folks cheat?  And that playing football in the Olympics isn't what
causes it??  Surely you jest!

You make my point.  It isn't the Olympics or international competition at
the root of all evil.  It is how we conduct ourselves in our own countries
in any given sport.  And what goes on at the Olympics neither elevates nor
ruins the sport at home--we do that ourselves.

Heidi