RE: [RC] Training Facilities (was too quiet) - Steph Teeter

>>The UAE has raised the bar in international endurance competition.>>

Yes - but then again, it also depends on the course. If the 2006 WEC is in the mountains of Colorado, or even the mountains in France, then we would have an advantage over countries that live and train on flat courses.  The current speeds (records) are being set on flat courses. Yes, this is an amazing test of equine physical endurance, there is no question about that. And we are probably being left behind regarding training - developing the absolute maximum aerobic capacity of a given equine athelete.

I will concede that UAE is producing fitter and faster horses, which probably no country can compete with on a flat UAE course. And I think the UAE riders also know best how to pace a horse on a flat course for maximum performance.

But as soon as you increase the physical difficulty of a course - rocks, hills, mountains, etc - then there are more elements to consider. Specific muscle development of the horses and a different pacing strategy by the riders are two things that come to mind that would be difficult to attain without a year or two of training and competition on such a course.

Much of what will determine the International champions for the next decade or so, is WHO has the influence to determine which courses will be used as championship courses. The 1998 WEC was a flat (though there was a lot of deep sand) course in UAE. The 2000 WEC was a relatively flat course in France.The 2002 WEC was a  flat course in Spain. The 2004 WEC is a VERY flat course in UAE (and the deep sand has been removed). Is 'flat' now the standard for WEC's ?

Steph

(tossing in a red herring)