Re: [RC] ATHLETE defined - Truman Prevatt

Athletics is much more than strength, agility and speed, it's timing, coordination, concentration, judgement and first and for most skill. There are a lot of basketball players stronger, faster and more agile than a 40 year old Michael Jordan, but on any given night he can make them look like fools. There are plenty of baseball players stronger more agile and faster than Barry Bonds at 39 years old, but there is no more feared hitter in the majors the past two years than Barry Bonds.

What the XC rider provides to the team is the concentration, skill, judgment and mental toughness to negotiate a tough course better than anyone else and to do it safely.

Susan Young Casey wrote:

Perhaps Mr. Webster can better say what I'm trying pathetically to describe.

Athlete: n. A person trained or skilled in acts or games requiring physical strength, agility, speed, etc,

This describes the horse in any event very well.  It does NOT describe the rider...nor does it describe a shooter.  I'm a gun hunter (pretty good shot too) and would not describe myself as an athlete because of that fact.

But, I respect the fact that others don't agree.

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do you Yahoo!?