Re: [RC] Horses/Olympics - Susan Young Casey

Anytime you use your muscles in a way you haven't in awhile, you'll get sore.  I vacuumed the other night and pulled a hamstring!  Riding a horse 50 miles doesn't make the RIDER the athlete any more than putting a cat in the oven makes him a muffin.  That's not to say endurance riders AREN'T athletes.  Some of us work out and train hard to be better riders.  But, riding doesn't make YOU the athlete.  The horse is the athlete.

My horse is far more an athlete than I because he covers 50/100 miles a day at some kind of speed.  I'm an athlete but riding my horse doesn't make me an elite athlete like my horse is.

IMHO, the Olympics is for the human, elite athlete.  Read the Olympic Oath the athletes take.  No where does it say a thing about any other animal athlete competiting to the best of it's abilities with good sportsmanship.

Bette Lamore <woa@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If anyone doesn't believe that riding endurance is a human sports event
as well, stop riding for a couple of years and then go on even a couple
hours ride. Anyone ever had even one muscle group that wasn't sore
after that?!!!

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do you Yahoo!?