Re: [RC] 2 horse trailer - April

I agree. I have a two horse bumper pull stock trailer. We bought it for $600
from a neighbor. My husband spruced it up for me. We couldn't care less
about the looks, just the comfort and safety of the horses. It looks yucky,
but I like the trailer overall.

Anyway, we bought a 10 foot round pen corral panel from our local farm
store. One of those that drops a big pin through openings to secure panel to
panel. My husband put big eye bolts through the trailer at the right
heights. So we put the panel into the trailer and drop the pins through the
eyes at the front of the trailer.

Then he attached big chains for butt bars and slid a wide metal pipe (for
stability) over the chain. The chains are permanently attached to the sides
of the trailer and the other ends have hooks that hook into holes made in
the corral panel for that purpose.

When hauling two horses, the corral panel is put in the trailer very quickly
and with no fuss. The butt bars prevent premature unloading when the one big
door swings open. The metal pipe over the chains keep the back of the
"divider" from sliding from side to side.

When hauling only one, we remove the divider in a matter of seconds, hook
the butt bars out of the way and allow the one horse to stand however he
pleases.

Including the initial purchase of the trailer, replacing the floor
(including buying thick stall pads to put down), replacing 2 of the tires,
and creating the removable divider, we paid between $850 and $900 for our
trailer. Like I said, it doesn't look pretty, but it was cheap and is fairly
safe. Now to add electric brakes....

Aren't hubbies nice?? :-)

April
Nashville, TN