[RC] Presidents cup / Olympics - Jonni

From the Presidents cup page:

http://www.presidents-cup.com/about.htm

In turn, this adherence to the highest professional values has spread
throughout the sport. Endurance is no longer a grass roots hobby, but a
world class sport that has aspirations to gain Olympic status.<<<

So, with the money the Middle East has to dump into the sport THEY Call
Endurance riding, after hearing reports and some able to watch the web cast,
my gut says if endurance heads to the Olympics, THIS is how it will be
presented to the world. Then, when you casually mention to a non-horse
friend that you compete in Endurance Rides with your horse, and the only
connection they have is watching a race like the Presidents Cup on some
sports channel, do you think what you do with your horses will be looked
upon in a good light?

We have worked long and hard to show that we care for our horses, and that
the horses enjoy trotting down the trail to keep animal rights whackos off
our backs. (groups like PETA think fishing should be banned...what do you
think they would do with endurance riding if they thought the public would
listen?)

We as riders, along with our governing body (AERC) probably have some tough
issues and decisions ahead when looking towards the international front on
our sport. (as if they have not had enough tough issues to cover already)
While YOU may never have the urge to compete internationally, I think we
should all keep at least the basic knowledge about what is going on in that
area, as it could have some trickle down effects to the level most of us
ride.

Jonni

This E-Mail scanned by Norton Anti-virus 2002, and believed to be virus
free.