[RC] Maggie Price stories - Maggie's Real Secret - Stagg_Newman

Maggie was my mentor in the sport,

Many of you know Maggie was Vice President of AERC and then President.
Among her many accomplishments, she campaigned for the "Fit to Continue
completion criteria"
and then made it a reality.  And guess who then got pulled not once but
twice if I remember right
at the finish of the Biltmore 100.  She of course took it graciously.

What many people do not know is Maggie was a superb breeder who for many
years
rode horses that she bred and raised.   Her farm Ramgewa Arabians (Ramegwa
comes
from Ray, Meg, and Walter - her three children) had only 1 to 3 foals per
year.  An amazing
percentage of those horses went on to compete at the highest levels.
Maggie's first
top horse was appropriately named Ramegwa Priceless, who among other
accomplishments
won Best Condition at the Race of Champions and I believe was either 3rd or
4th at the first
North American.

Ramegwa Towana (aka Jet), bred by Maggie and Valerie Kanavy,
won the Levi Ride and Tie National Championship with the Wad Squad
(Wadsworth
brothers riding/running) 3 years in a row!

Ramegwa Karafe (Kaffy) and Ramegwa Valentino (Tina)  were two outstanding
mares who competed in the '80s.  Tina topped ten the Race of Champions
multiple times
and was 9th in the '88 World Championship with a relatively heavy Italian
rider.  And Tina
was at most 14h2.

Kaffy taught many a rider about endurance riding.  Although Maggie won
her first endurance ride on Kaffy (a 75 miler out west I believe), Maggie
never really enjoyed riding
Kaffy because she went no faster than you asked her.  So Maggie kept
loaning Kaffy to other riders.
Kaffy won the IAHA National Championship with Danielle Kanavy riding
as a 10 year old. (BTW Danile later won the World Championship many years
later).
I did my 1st 100 on Kaffy.  It was the '88 Race of Champions.  (only horses
had to qualify back then).
My wife completed her first endurance ride on Kaffy.  At the WNC 3-day 100
one year, there were over a dozen
people who had ridden Kaffy in some competition.

I was fortunate to buy two of her horses, Ramegwa Drubin (aka Pony) and
Ramegwa Bahrain, his son.
Maggie told me Drubin  would be good but he needed a strong rider
(IMO at the time I was lucky to stay on a horse but enthusiastic).
Later after I knew how to translate Maggie's "Southern", I realized that
meant
"this a strong willed horse who is a real handful and I (Maggie) will be
glad when he is
your (Stagg's) handful, not mine."  But she was right about Drubin being a
strong horse
as he still holds the AERC record for most points in the AERC 100 mile
series in a seaon.
And has completed 33 one day 100s, at least one a season since 1989.

And certainly one of the best of the Ramegwa Arabians was Ramewa Kanavyann,
known as Annie except for the year Valerie Kanavy rode her to second in the
Race
of Champions, when Valeria called her KANAVYann.  She was also jointly bred
by Val and Maggie.  Maggie rode Annie to 4th in the '91 North American, to
the bronze medal in
and team silver in the World Championship in '92, and to 4th individual and
team gold
in the '93 North American.  In that race Maggie and I, who were teamates on
the East Time Zone team,
rode together for the entire race. As we were approaching the finish she
said we are here to win the team gold.
No point in racing each other for the individual bronze.
She told me she had her individual FEI bronze so this one would be mine.
So we cantered easily with Drubin just in front.  [Of course I believe
Drubin was the faster horse :>) ]
Annie was certainly the best mare racing at that time and arguably one of
the best mares
the sport has seen.  BTW Maggie herself was in her early 60s in during this
time frame.

Now for Maggie's secret.  At the '89 Race of Champions, I crewed for Maggie
and loaned her
my fannie pack.  I opened the fannie pack weeks after the ride and
discovered her secret.
There is the fannie pack were her lipstick and her Advil.  Now we know why
she always
looks so fresh!

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.