[RC] Pulse Recoveries and (High Strung) Arabs - Stagg_Newman

Will share my own experience with pulse recoveries and breeds.

I judged ECTRA rides for many years (Eastern Competitive Trail Ride
Association).
Many breeds are ridden including a lot of Morgans and Quarterhorses.
All of the breeds could recover to well under 60 within 20 mintues unless
they were
too stressed.  And then it did not matter what breed it was, the horse's
pulse would
hang, usually in the 60 to 72 range.  BTW in ECTRA the no penalty criteria
is 44.
I can remember one ride where Dr. Ann Stuart and I judged together and the
Grand
Champion was a horse that could best be described as a sofa with 4 legs and
a head, probably a grade with a lot of draft and Quaterhorse.  But the
horse
had no trouble recovering.

On the other hand, my experience with a certain high strung Arab named
Jayel Super
has been interesting.  On his first competitive trail ride he recovered at
the mid-point
check to 28 at 10 minutes.  I was very impressed.

On the other hand I can remember one of his early 100 mile endurance races
The first 12miles to the first vet check were quite fast and
I was not saavy enough to just stop and wait 5 or 10 minutes until the all
of the fast horses were out of sight.  We came into the first hold and his
pulse cycled between about 52 and 64 for 15 minutes or so because
of his over excitement. The criteria as I remember was 60.  I was not
impressed.
Then he later ran out of energy between 50 and 70 miles.  So I walked
him in to the vet check and withdrew.  I am convinced that the main problem
was that he
wasted too much energy in his early excitement.

And yes he and I eventually learned how to cope.  He has gone on to
win the Old Dominion twice and was 4th in the Pan Ams.   So patience
and training can help but the high strung Arabs are a challenge.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.