Re: [RC] Money for Necropsy - April

For around $100, I'd probably do it voluntarily. I just hadn't seen any
actual figures discussed. $100 is a cheap way to give me closure.

If Tanna died in the pasture or something, I probably would just think,
"wow, life really sucks!" But if he died at an endurance ride, I'm sure I
would wonder if it was my fault. Hopefully, the necropsy would give me an
answer one way or another, or at least point one way or another. I suppose
it's better knowing that I mismanaged him (so I wouldn't do it again) rather
than imagining for the rest of my life.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a necropsy, per se, just the mandatoriness of
putting in the rules.

However, if it was put in the rules, a $1 necropsy fee, to me, would fall
under the "AERC pays" category. Sure, I pay a buck in each ride, but IF it
happened to me, I wouldn't be bearing all the cost at once. On the other
hand, if you ride LOTS of rides, a person might object to that and just want
to pay IF their horse died, not $1 each ride.

On an aside, a mare I (and a friend) were horse-sitting colicked and was put
down while the owner was off getting married. The local rendering plant
picked up the carcass for free. Horriblest thing I ever watched. If you ever
have that done, just don't watch. My friend was hiding in the house and I
had to stomach it with only the dog for company. It was worse than watching
her go to sleep after the vet gave her a shot. Wasn't even my horse or even
one of hers that I was especially fond of or close to, but the whole
experience still makes my throat tighten.

What a horribly depressing subject. I need some ice cream.

April
Nashville, TN

P.S. Necropsy and Autopsy seem to mean the same thing. I looked it up in the
dictionary. One pointed to the other.