----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Garlinghouse" <suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Regarding the proposal that every horse that dies at a ride should be
necropsied---I agree with Jim that such agreement should be included on
the
liability waiver, with maybe the penalty for refusal being loss of points
for the entire year or some such.

As for payment---I can only speak for myself, but if I were vetting a
ride,
and a horse died on my "watch", it would drive me totally nuts *not* to
know
what else might have been going on inside.  It does potentially cost a lot
of money to take tissue samples for lab analysis, but it seems to me that
the majority of diagnosis of gut torsions, lipomas, ulcers, aneurysms and
so
on can be made with just a sharp knife and a little time, and further
analysis would very rarely be necessary.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to
ask one of the ride vets to perform a quick necropsy on site, especially
if
some help were available from any other willing hands.