[RC] costs, testing and surplus funds - oddfarm

I looked in some later EN and found in the Aug.2002 issue 3 rides that had drug testing.

1/12/02 Jennings Boogie 5 horses tested 4 neg 1 pos.
6/8/02   Ft. Howes    5 tested all neg
6/8/02  Old Dominion 5 tested all neg.

on pages 46 and 47 there are ride results with 501 horses reported. At $2 per horse drug testing, (that is what I paid last year for my ride) that is $1002.00 There are still 7 1/2 pages of ride results listed. So I will guestimate about $4500 per EN of drug testing fees and up to Aug only 15 horses tested. What is that money being used for?

If there was more testing before Aug. it wasn't reported and if it was after Aug. I couldn't find it. It seems that more people from California reported testing (on ridecamp) at their rides but it is the State that requires that? Is that reported in EN?

On requiring autopsies, I also would want to know. Legally can we ask for it? Maybe not but can RM refuse entry to a ride for not complying with the application as it is written? It is an agreement complete with a liability release and if the rider does not want to sign they don't get to ride.

Would we need to make it a requirement? Maybe not if as Heidi has reported, the majority of horses put down had life threatening injuries (accidents) or things like tumors and aneurisms. And if more horses are put down for those reasons and not metabolic, maybe we aren't doing such a bad job, you know, for being cowboys and all.

Tony Benedetti  said "In the US, we have always held to the wild west
approach where you can ride any distance if you have a horse to enter."

This isn't altogether true,as we do have age requirements for the horses. And besides, even Ray Hunt, who is an old cowboy, admits to many mistakes in his lifetime to get to where he is today. The wild west has evolved into a more humane philosophy of horse training and riding. Endurance riding has certainly come a long, long way and for the better I might add. And I have to agree with "Rules 'R' Us" ]:)Bob Morris when he says I believe that the AERC
methodology is the fairest and best system in the world. Bar
none. While we do not have the financial backing of the
emirates or the crassness of some of the Europeans, we have
very fair, well controlled competition unequalled in the
world. Our records are non-pareil, as bad as they are,
compared to any other country.
What we do need to know is are we experiencing problems that are out of our control (the accidents and unforeseen disorders) or is it something we can learn from and fix? If it is something we can learn from, who is going to teach us? With all the concern about new riders, rider logs, qualifying for longer distances, are we suppose to be self taught, or will someone or some BODy take on the role of teacher or as they call them in the Montessori school, the director? What does our Education and Safety Committee think?

Lisa Salas, the Odd FARm