Re: [RC] Deaths - the list - Susan Garlinghouse

rule, and the ride vets are the ones in the best position to determine
what
needs to be done in each individual case.

Heidi

IMO, it seems like this all comes back to a rider education issue again.  I
know a lot of people just think of necropsy as 'they're going to cut my
horse to pieces and leave him for the crows' and maybe don't realize how
much relevant information can be learned.  Maybe something could be
disseminated to the members explaining why this suggestion has merit; and
putting it in terms of 'hey, the last three horses we looked at all had
renal necrosis---let's review strategies before we lose another of *your*
horses beyond this one here".

I guess the example that keeps coming to mind is a young horse we necropsied
at CSU last fall after a train-wreck colic episode that the owner swore had
just appeared out of the blue.  The owner did NOT want her baby cut up, but
finally agreed and lo and behold, that horse had so much parasite damage, it
was a miracle it had lived as long as it had.  Finding out didn't save this
horse, but it turns out the owners used a "natural" dewormer that she
thought was effective and didn't do a doggone thing.  We ran fecals on all
her other horses, made some significant changes in her product choices and
felt pretty good that there wasn't another train wreck coming down the pike.

Maybe I'm being a pollyanna, but if some concerted pre eductional effort
were made to approach necropsy-at-rides as "hey let's keep the same thing
from happening to your other horses", the strong arm approach and legal
issues wouldn't be as necessary.

Susan G