[RC] Starting Young Horses - Suvut

Hi Lysane.? I am bringing along a 4 yo (will be 5 on April 7).? I purchased this colt's mother from the Hyannis Cattle Company when she was an unbroke 4 yo.? She (Fleetara) is now 27 years old.

I bred, raised, and trained this colt (Encore).?? I started teaching Encore ground manners beginning the day he was born.? He was ponied at the age of 2.? When he turned 3, he was saddle trained and ponied.? I started getting on him at 3-1/2 for short, and then longer, walks.? At almost 4, I started doing some trotting (no cantering) and more long walks -- some hill work.? I do NO competitions at the age of 4, even though it is allowed in AERC.

Encore will do his first 25 mile limited distance ride this year on April 12th.? He will be just barely 5.? All this season, I will do only 25's and competitive rides -- some of them 2-day rides.? All at a very slow, moderate pace.? NO fast paces.

I have brought along 4 horses this same way in my almost 30 years of endurance/competitive riding.? And it has worked GREAT for me.? My horses are seldom (if ever) lame, and they continue competing for sometimes 15-20 years.?

Few people can say this.? Anyway, this is what works for me.? My horses are NOT disposable....? :)

Susan Vuturo (AERC #1108) -- Mom to Sadie, Encore, Rocky, assorted kitties, and my Angel Mecca, who waits for me and Sadie at the Bridge