Re: [RC] starting young horses - LOUISE BURTON

Hi,

Since we train young horses for endurance RIDING (not racing) I can tell you that EACH HORSE is very different.  We have had some Arabians whom I would not even begin to ride until they were four, and I have a big solid colt who is 2 1/2 and can do some very light trail riding.

Things to consider:  Where is the horse kept?  There is a big difference between a barn baby and one who has lived his life on 100 acres.

What is the mental attitude of the horse?  5 year olds are a lot easier to train than 3 year olds in general.  Some three year olds can handle the "excitement", some cannot.

What is the physical maturity of the horse?  I've got a 5 year old now who is probably less "full grown" than my 2 1/2 year old, even though they are both Russian Arabians.  (The younger one has bigger cannons).  The long, tall, spindly looking one I'd stay off.  The stout, fully proportional one I'd start.  There is a world of difference between a 2 yr old Arab and a 2 year old QH.

And finally, you can never go TOO SLOW.  And you can never start them TOO LATE.

Louise Burton

Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians

http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms

 Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering whether those of you who start your
horses in competition in their four year old year, are
you doing ctr, or endurance? And when do you start
conditioning them - when they are 3? And how many
rides would you feel is "safe" (of course, depending
on difficulty of ride itself)?
My impression has been that most people do very little
with their four year olds - maybe begin conditioning
and maybe a slow and easy 25 miles towards the end of
the season....is this what most people do? Or are you
conditioning during the four year old year and only
competing them at five? All this of course with the
horse's LONG TERM health and fitness in mind.

Just mulling these things over while trying to stay
warm
Lysane
(and Mae West, who is not even 1 yet)