AW: [RC] Paris International Endurance meeting, from Tony Benedetti - Hilga Höfkens

Bob morris wrote:
Yes, it is different here than in Europe. We do have the
freedom of choice and the most lowly of people in the US can
compete if they have a horse. That is the essence of AERC
competition. I like to believe that we are not an elitist
congregation of horse people. I like to believe that the
least of us can compete with the best of us and, if capable,
beat the beat of us. Seignorie has no place in the United
States.

Dear Bob,
I would like to throw a word in here. We (in Germany) used to have the same
ideas about "any rider and any horse" being able to compete at any level of
endurance without any knowledge about the whole thing.
Sensible and caring people would not do that, but how about the 2% that just
give it a try, and find out later they did have no idea about what they
where doing (finding out at the horses expense)?
This discussion is not about "apologizing for the way we make decisions" or
about being "an elitist congregation", but about caring for the horse and
learning what is best, and maybe even changing some rules, if it´s found out
that will save the horse.
I hope the people in Germany, voting for a graduatingsystem will eventually
be able to change the rules here. The thought of anybody just trying out
what 100 miles might do to his horse, makes me feel sick.

After all, in NO other equine discipline is anything like that possible (as
far as I know). They sure have reasons for that too.

Happy trails

Hilga from Germany

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
Version: AVK 12.0.144 from 12.02.2003