Re: [RC] [RC] Drug Testing - Heidi Smith

>that's good, maybe they will keep doing it more randomly.  I just was posting that I had not ever seen it done any other way but with the top ten horses at any ride I've seen tested, maybe I just need to get out more

I'd suspect so.  The most common way I've seen the testing run is that the possible number of placings are put into a hat and then drawn out randomly.  So let's say there are 50 entrants in a ride--maybe places 3, 11, 18, 27, and 41 will be drawn out.  This is done just before horses start coming in, so there is no pre-knowledge of what the placings will be.  Then as horses come across the line in those positions, they are tested.  That's how I've usually seen it done.  Another way I've seen it done is that the tester randomly draws a placing in the Top Ten.  It takes some time to get samples, so when that horse is finished, the next horse across the line is done (may be 10 or 20 places later), and so on.

Heidi