RE: [RC] Deaths - Steph Teeter

Each of you that have specific concerns or suggestions should send a letter or email to a member of the Veterinary committee. There's probably a vet on the committee that you know, talk to them. http://www.aerc.org/committees.html

Steph
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 7:14 PM
To: Dolores Arste
Cc: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Deaths

I would like to add one more: a report from the treatment vet.

Truman

Dolores Arste wrote:
I'd like to respectfully agree with this:
I think at the very least, if a horse dies at an AERC sanctioned endurance ride the following should be mandatory:

1)  Statement from the ride's Head Vet.

2)  Statement from the Ride Manager

3)  Statement from the Rider/Owner of the horse.

4)  Statement from any riders who witnessed the death or circumstances that may have contributed to it.

5)  Review of all the above by an AERC Committee.  Publish a summary of findings.

If nothing else other could/would learn from the unfortunate experience.

I don't think it is necessary to find fault in any of the above except in cases where abuse was obvious. I found the statements made by the riders at the Worlds extremely informative. It told us what they were thinking in the heat of the moment.

Dolores Arste